So I posted this picture of my Quiona & Spinach Egg Scramble a few days ago on Instagram (@fleurdecurl), and had no idea people would love it so much. I promised Eileen that I would post a recipe for it, so I returned home from my workout today and couldn’t wait to share how I made my rendition of the scramble.
Here is what I used…
- 1 Teaspoon of coconut oil
- 1 quarter of a red bell pepper
- 1 quarter of a yellow bell pepper
- 1 quarter of an orange bell pepper
- a handful of pearl onions
- 1 cup of fresh spinach
- 2 Large Organic Cage Free Eggs
- Tony Chachere’s Salt-Free Seasoning Mix, ground turmeric, ground cumin, onion powder, garlic powder to taste
- 1 Teaspoon of Coconut milk
- 1 half cup of cooked Quinoa
- a handful of Chopped green onions
- and light Sharp Cheddar cheese
So…What did I do?
First of all, I warmed the coconut oil in a large skillet until it was hot and melted through. I added my bell peppers and onion and mixed around until they were soft and translucent. Once I saw that my onions were cooked through, I added the spinach and sauteed it with the bell peppers and onion until it became soft and cooked through.
While the spinach is cooking, I broke the eggs into a bowl and added the seasoning to taste. I mixed in the teaspoon of coconut milk and sat that aside while I sauteed the spinach.
After the spinach cooked thoroughly, I added the cooked quinoa and stir fried it in with the spinach, bell peppers and onions until the quinoa cooked thoroughly. I then took moved everything in the skillet around to the edges and poured the egg mixture in the middle slowly adding the spinach/quinoa mixture with the egg until the egg cooked through.
Last but not least, I topped everything with a green onion and sharp cheddar garnish. If you are making this dish, I would allow for the green onion and cheddar mixture heat up in the pan a little with the Quinoa and Egg mixture to it can be melty and stir in easily.
A lot of people eat this for breakfast…but I plated it and ate it for lunch at work and it was so yummy!